The word YOGA is derived from the Sanskrit word “Yuj” which means to add two things together. When you are uniting yourself to God, it is completing the word Yoga. Yoga is considering to adapt a good posture in different ways and these postures are known as Asanas.
A good asana is possible only by the complete concentration of your mind. Since ages people are doing Yoga in India and in other countries of the world. This is a very light form of body workout. You just need one mat and some open space to start your beautiful day.
Benefits of Yoga-
- It improves the strength and flexibility of your body.
- It improves coordination and balance of your body.
- Helps in maintaining a good posture.
- It improves the concentration power of your mind.
- It energizes your body.
- It relieves body pains.
All types of yoga improve complete body functions which are required to live a healthy life. A healthy life includes not only good health but other perspectives of life like happiness, good behavior, good personality, responsibilities, care, love etc.
It improves every aspect of life and you can start it at any age and there is no harmful effect of basic yoga. There are very fewer chances of getting any injury during yoga until and unless you are not doing it on an advanced level.
Yoga for beginners-
There are very easy ways to start your asanas.
- You can buy a beginner’s book.
- You can copy some asanas from the Internet.
- You can call some experts at your home.
- You can visit some fitness centers.
How beginners are getting injured during Yoga
Sometimes people don’t know how to start their workout and they are landing up with injuries. It happens when their body is not prepared for that pose of Asana. First of all, you need to assess your body in terms of flexibility, strength, and endurance.
There are simple tests to find out your fitness level.
FOR FLEXIBILITY –
- Just stand straight and bend down to touch your toes.
- If you are able to touch it then you have enough flexibility for all kind of asanas.
- In case you are not able to touch your toes then during any pose in which this flexibility is required don’t push yourself to gain this, just stay in your comfort zone.
FOR STRENGTH –
To check your strength just take some weight (1/7 of your body weight) and lift it 20 times in one go. If you get soreness or pain in your arms then don’t go for weight bearing positions of yoga like Handstand.
FOR ENDURANCE –
To check your cardio endurance, just climb 40 stairs in one go, If you feel breathless then don’t do power yoga for more than 30 minutes at one time.
- If you are a beginner, take an expert’s advice.
- If you are experienced, then try to go to the next level to keep yourself healthy throughout your life.
This is me doing Chakrasana.